Results of the search for "CARPENTER", sorted alphabetically:

Manufacturer name Information
BURDITT & CARPENTER   Brattleboro, VT 1850 - - 852, successors to Jones & Burditt; Riley Burditt and Edwin B. Carpenter, partners; succeeded by I. Hines & Co.
CARPENTER & COLEMAN   Syracuse, NY. Melodeon maker, possibly the same as U.S. Carpenter.
CARPENTER CO., THE   Brattleboro, VT.; see E.P. Carpenter & Co.
CARPENTER ORGAN CO.   Mendota, IL, see E.B. Carpenter.
CARPENTER, E.P., & CO.   Worcester, MA 185066; founded by Edwin P. Carpenter, son of E.B. Carpenter. Bankrupt in 1866, indicted for concealment of assets in bankruptcy; doing business as E.P. Carpenter in Worcester in 1881, started again in Brattleboro, VT 1884, occupying the former Brattleboro Melodeon Co. factory on Flat St.. Operated at least through 1917. W.E. Carpenter became general manager in 1894. Officers in 1899: George E. Crowell, president; C.H. Davenport, treasurer; Martin Austin Jr., secretary and general manager. Later became The Carpenter Co. George E. Crowell, president in 1911. E.P. Carpenter served as a judge of the musical exhibits at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1895. Serial numbers: 1884 - 37478, 1900 - 98644, 1901 - 100715. Cumulative production figures:

1894 - 91883 1903 - 105000 1911 - 117000
1895 - 95000 1906 - 110000 1912 - 119000
1897 - 95810 1907 - 112851 1913 - 122000
1898 - 98000 1908 - 115000 1914 - 124000
1899 - 100000 1909 - 116000 1915 - 125000
1902 - 103000 1910 - 117000 1917 - 126000




CARPENTER, EDWIN B.   came to Brattleboro from Guilford, VT, in 1850 and bought J.L. Jones' interest in Jones & Burditt; the firm name became Burditt & Carpenter. In 1852 Jacob Estey bought out Riley Burditt and the name changed to E.B. Carpenter & Co., then Carpenter sold his interest to Isaac Hines. Later Carpenter associated with George Woods and Samuel Jones as Carpenter, Jones & Woods, still later sold out to Estey again and moved to Mendota, IL, where he went into partnership with G.W. Tewksbury in 1865 as Tewksbury & Carpenter, located at Washington and Main Streets. In 1866 they were located in the Dawson Building. In 1868 Eaken Smith and Abel Hoffman joined the company and it was renamed Tewksbury, Carpenter & Co., now located at Sixth St. and Eleventh Ave. Tewksbury left in 1873 and the name changed to Carpenter, Scott & Wise, and in 1875 to Western Cottage Organ Co., (qv). Carpenter sold out his interest and started manufacturing organs on his own as E.B. Carpenter from 1876 to 1882, when he renamed his company the Carpenter Organ Co. It was renamed Mendota Northwestern Cottage Organ and Piano Co. in 1887, closed out in 1889 and he returned to Vermont, where he died in 1891.
CARPENTER, SCOTT & WISE   Mendota, IL 18731875, see E.B. Carpenter.
CARPENTER, U.S.   Syracuse, NY.
JONES, CARPENTER & WOODS   see Samuel H. Jones, E.B. Carpenter, George C. Woods.

This information has been taken from the Reed Organ Atlas, written by R.F. Gellerman.
For information about this book, and information how to order this book, click here.


Last update to this page has been made on May 15, 2013